CBD enthusiasts have never had it so good (myself included). This oh so mystical compound is becoming more and more available to everyone, and that includes athletes.
Here’s the honest to goodness truth of it, CBD is the answer for an improved sports recovery and safer pain relief, which allows athletes and exercise junkies to push harder without fear of overdose or addiction.
FIRST OF ALL, IS IT LEGAL FOR ATHLETES?
OFF COURSE! The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) removed CBD from the prohibited substances in 2018 – in or out of competition-. So athletes, you can carry on without fear of breaking the rules.
SO, WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Reduction of stress and anxiety: performance anxiety is no stranger to athletes even to the most seasoned. CBD is a known effective antidepressant that may provide relief with no side effects and since its 100% natural, it’s not addictive.
- Relief from pain: just like for chronic pain, CBD works for sports injuries without any undesirable side-effects. CBD can take away the pain, prevent tares during training and reduce inflammation, being perfect for an after training massage.
- Boosts immunity: athletes need to be very healthy, and thanks to CBD’s antioxidant properties their immune system may be more protected and prepared to fight off infections.
- Alternative to NSAIDs and opioids: both non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and opioids have side effects like risk of renal damage, of heart attack, of stroke, addiction or overdose. CBD is highly effective at pain management, reduces inflammation and has zero addictive properties, being the best alternative to over-the-counter medication.
- Reduce Inflammation: inflammation for athletes can be detrimental for their performance and can slow down recovery. CBD binds to CB2 receptors in the immune system, having an anti-inflammatory effect by reducing the production of the messenger cells (cytokine).
- Helps appetite control: being an athlete means having to be in tip top physical shape, and CBD helps keep the weight off by controlling hunger and giving a sense of fullness.
- Fastens recovery time: injuries are part of the athlete’s day to day, and CBD’s faster effect and regulation of health-related functions ensures athletes will be back doing what they love in no time!
- Good in treating head injuries: there is always a risk of traumatic head injuries during sports like gymnastics, football, soccer or hockey, and CBD helps athletes survive these injuries should they occur.
- Settles your gut: there are CB1 and CB2 receptors in the colon that help alleviate inflammation in the intestines and other gut problems, thus boosting athletes’ endurance levels.
- Improves sleep: sleep is paramount before extensive training sessions and stressful matches, CBD help athletes achieve a more restful sleep by calming down your mind and body. It inhibits the release of neurotransmitters and adenosine to fall asleep .
Let’s face it, the lifestyle of an athlete involves extreme training sessions, stressful sport events, injuries and intense fatigue, and CBD is the solution to all of these problems and more, helping the athlete reach their full potential.